Monday, January 30, 2006

New Downloader Almost Complete

I have been working on a little downloader application for our software. You download this 200K app, and it walks you through checking for .net, downloading and installing that if necessary, then downloading and installing the other parts of the application. In our case, this is the Paragent Framework (our agent) and Paragent Manage, the GUI console. This was all raw win32 GDI type stuff. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I need to go back and review all of the corner cases to make sure we are doing the right thing for the user.

What is means is little to no lisp work this weekend. I was able to start making foreign function calls to the ws2_32 library today (winsock2). I got as far as initializing with WSAStartup, and creating a socket. I knew I was really talking to the library because I was getting real winsock error codes back. When you see 10092, you know you can only be talking to Windows...

I should be able to take a stab at sb-grovel now that I have at least a rough understanding of sb-alien. I need sb-grovel because there are still some things I don't understand about creating unions with the sb-alien commands. You can't get very far (read: bind) before you need to use in_addr, which is a union. I think I missed the class on why anyone ever bothers with unions. In any case, crafting the right combination of struct and unions specifiers was beyond my keen. sb-grovel is SUPPOSED to do all that for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home