Monday, July 24, 2006

Fedora-on-Parallels

I installed Fedora on Parallels on my mini at home so I could work on the networking parts of our server that were going to be very closely tied to the platform. Unfortunately, BSD and Linux have gone divergent paths when it comes to highly scalable networking APIs. Linux has epoll, and BSD kqueues. Since Rackspace supports Linux, epoll it is. I installed Fedora Core 5 on a Parallels virtual machine, and it seemed pretty nice.

Pretty nice that is except for the slight mouse lag, which started to get very annoying. Alas, there are no Parallel Tools for Linux yet as there are in Windows, which fixes the same issue when running XP as the guest operating system. My solution is to run X11 on the mini itself, and run:

ssh -X virtual-machine-ip-address

This works great, as long as you don't want to resize your emacs window. As soon as you do, you get a nice:

X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) ...

Google being the all-knowing, all-seeing eye, told me to add a -Y to the ssh command, and all was well:

ssh -X -Y virtual-machine-ip-address

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home