Friday, November 03, 2006

The dangers of auto-complete

I ordered two IBM xSeries 306m servers yesterday with overnight shipping so we could put an appliance version of our Lisp-based desktop management service together. In the process of putting in the order, Safari's autocompletion kicked in with my home address information. In my haste, I changed the number, but not the street name. When I checked the package tracking this afternoon, it was marked as "Delivery Attempted" which caused the office air to be filled with many unprintable invectives, as I was certain that no such delivery attempt had been made. On further inspection, I realized my mistake, and called the delivery company. Thankfully, the truck was still on its route, the kind lady assisting me got in touch with the driver, and they came by the right address 30 minutes later. Kudos to DHL for their service.

Proving once again that no project is complete without at least three trips to the store*, it turns out the server didn't come with the rails needed to mount any drives, which have to be ordered seperately at $30 a piece. rasberries to IBM for not including them. We should be able to temporarily wedge the drives in place while we do the install until the rails arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

It is going to be interesting to see what we can do with the appliance model. At the moment, we don't really use any cores from (save-lisp-and-die). Since everything is so long-running, I just have a lisp file that loads everything we need. Since we are going to have many identical implementations out in the field, using a core file might be able to save us from having to get all of the dependencies in place for a full compile. I'm not entirely sure at this point whether we would still need to have the original source or fasls lying around somewhere.

* In my case, the store it typically the local Lowes home supply megamart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home