Saturday, November 04, 2006

Has Linux stagnated as much as Windows?

I used to really be into Linux. I even did embedded Linux development for little MPC860-based routers. Did all the custom kernel compiling stuff, etc. In fact, that is how I got my first Mac - it had the same PPC chip we were going to use in a new router we were working on. That little beast is still in daily use in my household for web browsing and email checking. It is a 500MHz G4 PowerBook - back when they made them out of TITANIUM kids! For a long time, it ran Yellow Dog Linux. Then OS X came out, and over time the Linux partition fell into disuse, and eventual elimination. But, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Linux.

I've been getting back into Linux a bit more lately as we have been using it for our web-based software. We got in a couple IBM xSeries servers yesterday, and Dustin and I spent some time today (Dustin much more than me) working on getting Linux installed. Inevitably, we ran into an issue with the adaptec SATA RAID controller. Imagine that. More to the point, this was with the brand-new Fedora Core 6. If you go through a normal installation process, anaconda just hangs. None of this was necessarily unexpected. I've dealt with driver issues with Linux before. I've even written drivers myself. But that was five years ago. I guess I just expected there to be some improvement. From what I can tell, there hasn't been any real fundamental improvement in Linux's real usability. Heck, just try installing Firefox 2 on a standard Fedora Core 5 install.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home